Those who work in corporate world familiar with the word memo. Memo is a very important short form of letter, which circulate within the office premises. Few of us exactly know the format of writing a standard memo. We write memo but most of our memo does not match with the standard format.
A Memo should have the following sections and contents:
1) At above there will be a section of ‘To’ and in this section receivers name will be there. Like- ‘To: Reza’. For a formal memo, you need to use the receiver’s full name and the department if you belong to other department. There is no requirement of using Mr. Mrs...etc.
2) Second section is the ‘From’ Section which will contain the name of the sender. For formal memo you should write the senders full name and for informal memo you can write only the sender’s short name. Like- ‘From- Rasel’. If the sender is in another department then you need to write the department name as well. In this section there is no need to use Mr. Mrs..etc.
3) Next section is the date section. Write the month as word or as an abbreviated format. Abbreviated form like ‘Jan’ for the month January.
4) Then write a subject heading in the next step.
5) Now the message section comes. You write the message that you want to deliver through this memo. Message section contains some sub sections. Those sections are included within the message. Those are not separate sections.
Message Sub sections are:
a) Situation: You should write down the purpose of this memo. Unless writing the purpose it will not carry strong attention.
b) Problem: This is an optional section. In this section, you can write down the problem that you are facing or some of you department members are facing. It may be transportation problem, may be lunch problem, or may be some other official problem.
c) Action: This part tells about the solution of the existing problem or requirement. It means how this problem can be solved or requirement can be fulfilled. This problem may be solved by spending some money or buying any particular machinery or vehicle etc.
d) Politeness: You should be polite throughout your whole message writings. You are writing this memo for a particular purpose, and if your message does not carry politeness then there will be high chance for refusal.
It is very important to end with a polite expression.
6. Final step is the Signature (This is optional)